Electrical Safety in the Home: Tips & Advice

The number of serious injuries caused by electrical faults or mishandling around the home is staggering; hundreds of fires are attended to in domestic premises each year and there are reportedly 28 fatal electrocutions and electrical burns each year in the UK.

To keep you and your family safe, there are some really simple safety tips that you can follow:

Visual Checks

Not all safety checks have to be complicated or extensive:

  • Make sure that any plug sockets in your home are not overloaded with too many electrical items
  • Don’t trail cables under carpets or rugs
  • Make sure that any electrical goods are switched off if not in use; preferably from the mains switch

Electrical extension lead

Kitchen Safety

More than half of all house fires start in the kitchen so safety here is paramount:

  • Make sure any sockets or switches are fitted at least 30cm away from your sink to avoid water coming into direct contact with any electrical devices such as a kettle, toaster or microwave
  • If any appliance breaks, don’t try to repair it whilst it’s still plugged in; also, don’t try to repair an appliance unless you’re confident in what you’re doing and if you’re not, call a professional
  • A build-up of grease and fat is a major cause of kitchen fires so be sure to keep your oven and grill clean

Kitchen sink tap on

Bathroom Safety

It’s no secret that electricity and water don’t mix. Therefore, bathroom safety is hugely important when it comes to protecting your home and loved ones from electrical faults and disasters:

  • There must be absolutely no sockets in bathrooms or shower rooms of any description; the only exception is shaver-supply units and any sockets must be situated at least three metres away from a bath or shower unit
  • Make sure all light fittings are safely enclosed and not at risk of getting wet; a ceiling mounted pull-cord fitting is the safest option
  • Never bring portable electrical items into the bathroom such as hairdryers or radios

Bathroom shower head on

Garden Safety

Wet conditions can make using electrical items in the garden that bit more dangerous so must only be used if conditions are completely dry:

  • When mowing your lawn, keep any cables or connections from the lawnmower away from the mower itself and always follow the instructions for maximum safety
  • Ensure that any outdoor lighting is weatherproof and has been installed by a registered electrician
  • Ensure that you have an RCD (Residual Current Device) installed; this can prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch a live wire

Lawnmower in garden

Avoiding Electrical Fires

It is reported that 89% of electrical fires in domestic premises are caused by electrical products each year in the UK so it’s important to take every safety check possible to minimise your risk:

  • Check your sockets regularly and if any burn marks are spotted, or if the socket feels warm to touch, get a registered electrician to inspect
  • Don’t cover any electrical heater and never place one near curtains or furniture
  • Do make sure that you have a good quality and working fire alarm installed in your home and have it tested regularly

Fire in home

If you’re concerned about keeping your home safe and sound from electrical faults and fires, call the Cooper Weston team today on 0800 669 6229. You can also read more about our domestic electrical services here.

You can also view one of our listings below:

UK Directory Listings of Electrical Services Companies – Provided by the Business Directory UK

Posted in Electrical Advice, Electrical Safety Tips, Safety Tips.